• Come see Cibola one-act plays @2:00 & 7:00pm on 5/18 in the PAC!
  • Come support Cibola Cibola Piano on 5/17 @7:00 pm in the PAC!
  • Congratulations Cibola Preforming Arts for their production of Mamma Mia! winning Best Production at the Enchantment Award!
  • Cibola Commencement is Wednesday, May 22nd, 9:30 am @ Tingley Coliseum
The Student News Site of Cibola High School

The Golden Word

The Golden Word

The Golden Word

School Budgets, Gun Control, and More

A look at the 2024 New Mexico Legislative Session.

The regular 30 day legislative session has begun in New Mexico, here’s the Golden Word’s quick facts on this new session. 

1. The session began on Jan. 16 with the governor giving her annual State of the State, in which she called for greater gun control, environmental control, a strategic water supply, tax changes, help for housing costs, education, and more. Now, why is what the Governor said in her State of the State important? This is because we are in a 30 day session during which our state constitution limits the bills allowed to be considered to budget bills and any issue the Governor declares important.
    2. This session includes over 415 bills proposed with 225 being House bills and 190 Senate bills. 
    3. Also proposed are 23 memorials and 23 resolutions. 
    4. Interesting bills proposed include paid medical and family leave, banning housing discrimination based on a renter’s or buyer’s source of income, anti-hazing, and a resolution calling for President Biden to call for a ceasefire in the Palestine Israel conflict. 

If you are interested in looking at the full list of bills or watching the proceedings go to https://www.nmlegis.gov/.