• Come support Cibola Choir on 5/10/24 in the PAC from 7-8pm!
  • Come support Cibola Orchestra in the PAC from 7-8pm on 5/9/24!
  • Come support Cibola Band from 7-8pm in the PAC on 5-8-24!
The Student News Site of Cibola High School

The Golden Word

The Golden Word

The Golden Word

GED and Pursuing a Trade

Is a high school diploma better than getting your GED?
Jonathan Flores
There are several ways to obtain education and move toward a career.

If high school is not for you and it truly brings you down, then a GED could be the way to go. GED stands for Graduation  Equivalency Degree. The reason most people drop out is either to pursue a trade or because school simply  is not working out for them.  

In order to take the GED at all you are required to take a GED Ready test. It is a pre-test,  sort of like a practice test. You need no proof of residency to take the test here in New Mexico. You are required to have parents sign off on a paper citing they agree to  you taking it if you are 16 or 17 years of age. Your parents must be present when you take your pre-test; if not the ticket will be revoked totally.  https://ged.com/policies/new_mexico/ 

You’d also be surprised to hear there’s no actual drawbacks/benefits of having a GED. Although when you go in for an interview and a potential employer  sees you have a GED, it’s up to the interviewer at that point whether or not that’s a negative in their opinion.

The GED test in total will cost $144 ($26 per subtest). It costs $180 to take it online at your home. There are 4 subtests, and then the final GED test. 

I asked some teachers and adults with authority what their opinion was on kids dropping out and getting their GED and here’s what they said.

Coach Curry responded to my question, “ How do you feel about a kid getting their GED and pursuing a trade?” with, “I think every kid should stay it school; it’s the best place for them, but depending on the circumstances at home and/or at school it may be worth getting a GED.” Coach Curry specified one thing though, “IF IT ISN’T WORTH IT, STAY IN SCHOOL”.

I asked my own dad as well, and he responded with the same meaning. “It really just depends if they commit to something after they get their GED; some people will get their GED and not do anything but for people with difficult circumstances that’s a different story because someone has to provide and that’s what happens most of the time.”